Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Black Pepper Cookies!

Hello my dear readers,
pepper cookies... it doesn't really sound that appetizing, does it? You might think it just sounds flat out strange. That is what I thought when I first heard about pepper cookies. But really, they're delicious. My mom told me a story about how my great-great-great grandma used to make black pepper cookies, because
pepper was what was available to her. She didn't have the spices we have now. It was salt, pepper, and whatever they could grow. As no one ever wrote her recipe down, mom just told me what she heard from her mom, my grandmother, about the cookies, and asked me if I thought I could recreate them. I searched the internet for a recipe, but I couldn't find a recipe I liked. So I just used the basic proportions for cookies to make a new recipe.
Here it is:

2 1/4 cups of flour,
1/4 cup white sugar,
1 packed cup brown sugar,
1 teaspoon baking soda,
1 cup of softened butter,
1 large egg,
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract,
2 teaspoons ground black pepper,
Sugar or other sweetener to dip cup in (I used Splenda),

Beat butter for 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add flour, soda, and pepper. Mix, just be careful not to mix it too fast or else everything will go poof into your face.

Make balls of about one teaspoon, and put on a greased cookie sheet. You'll make about three sheets of cookies. Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar, then press the dough down, dipping back into the sugar between cookies. And you really do need to use the sugar. If you don't, the dough will stick to the glass.

Bake the cookies for 10 minutes (our oven is really slow. If you have a fast oven, try 8) at 350 degrees. Move the cookies onto a rack to cool.

I hope you like them!

Love,
Veelacat

1 comment:

Hello, I love to hear what other people think, so comment away.